Thursday, May 6, 2021

Gatu and her large family

I live in a house with a little garden. Even though I have a cat indoors, Kitty, some cats come around practically every day. As I can't help it, I started feeding them. One of them caught my eye. It was a female cat and I started to call her Gatu. She seemed very unpredictable, but food did its best. She came closer and closer and I could finally touch her. Now, she follows me everywhere I go.

It has already been a year and a half, and this is the second time she has kittens. There are so cute you just have to love them! We take care of them and we teach them all we can so that a family can adopt them. When Gatu gave birth this second time, she had them inside a huge jar in the porch. It was incredible! My husband built them a shelter with a box, some blankets and rugs.

The first time was a success. She gave birth outside and, some weeks later, she carried them to our garden for protection. Amazing! Only one of her babies wasn't taken, so she stayed here in our garden with her mum. We feed her as well and see if she needs anything else.
So, we have two adult cats and three kittens outside, but sheltered, and a dog and a cat in the house. They all seem very happy and content!
 
                                                  Gatu
  
  
 
Gatu's first kittens

Gatu and her first daughter

Gatu's second kittens
 


2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of your blog very much! Congratulations for the initiative!
    I loved the story of Gatu and her family. If I may, just a piece of advice, in my opinion Gatu should be sterilized. The life in the streets is tough for the cats. Every time a female cat gives birth, there are several more kittens who must struggle to survive on the streets. Even more, Gatu may have complications when she gives birth and could die. You can contact any association who take care of street cats and they will know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Cristina. I really appreciate your advice. I couldn't agree more. We are planning on sterilising Gatu as soon as possible. This second pregnancy was too soon and caught us by surprise. Thank you again. Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews